Writing on the wall

Profound perspectives on mundane happenings, smattered with a helping of humour.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ignorance begets wisdom

When my daughter said "'D' for 'W'", my first thought was, "What?" . I had been teaching her to figure out the first letter of a word by deliberately staying on the first sound of the word. Granted, the technique is not scientific, but is good enough for a 4-year old.

She was trying out or cracking "What for fan?" as "F for Fan" and so on and all of a sudden, she said, "D for W". For a moment, I was puzzled. Then I realised her line of thought based on what she had been taught.

To her, it was "D for Double U". Though she recognises 'W' when she sees the symbol, she was able to by-pass the stereotype and get the 'correct' answer. As to my bewilderment upon hearing "D for W", I am wondering if I should blame my education or the English language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home